Friday 20 November 2009

Floods in the North

I was devastated when I heard the news and yet all I did was watch the pictures on the television. My heart goes out to the family of Bill Barker, the brave policeman who lost his life in the floods and to the people who have lost their homes, I weep for them. I know exactly what they're going through and what they'll go through in the days and weeks to come.

When we lost our home in the floods of 2007 you hope that never again people will go through that but they do and it's happening more and more often. We haven't looked after our world very world have we?

In 2007 Mike, the then chairman set the challenge the subject was 'Water, water everywhere' This is what I wrote a month after we were flooded.



Water, water everywhere. Carpets floating, toilet overflowing mingling with the dirty  contaminated river water and rushing headlong into the kitchen, into the fridge, the freezer and those corners that never see the light of day covering everything in mud, silt and shit.
            The water came in uninvited, unwelcome, robbing and raping, stealing our home and all that was important to us and then it went. Leaving in its wake total destruction, ruined irreplaceable memories and photographs and lives that were already damaged, devastated and broken.
            Now homeless, pride and dignity all gone, we have to rebuild but how?

Please remember in your thoughts and prayers those who have suffered in the recent floods

3 comments:

  1. Big hug for you Sue. I know how difficult is is for you everytime there is flooding and the bad memories it brings back for you.

    I was upset when I'd heard they'd found Bill Barker but unfortunately he had died. So sad, particularly as he was doing his job and trying to send people away from danger. I hope his family are getting the care and support they need as this difficult time.

    See you tomorrow, Sue

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie, yes it does bring back bad memories but it doesn't affect me now, I cry for those who are going through what I went through and I wish they didn't have too and I have the benefit of hindsight which they don't - if that makes sense.

    Some of the reports I've heard Bill Barker was stopping people putting their lives at risk. Forgive me if this is proven wrong but what a selfless man. I agree with you I hope his family, no I know the police will give his family all the support they can but that can never replace a husband and a father.

    It's been a very sad day today for many. But on a personal level - I'm glad Simon's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sue, I thought about you too as I went past the house last night, so pleased you are in your lovely new home where it will not happen again. The weather can be so cruel sometimes.
    Best wishes
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete