Sunday 1 November 2009

Chairman's Challenge


The challenge for August was 'Home is Telford.' This proved to be quite interesting because although most of our members live in Telford not everyone likes Telford.

As a modern town which was created in the sixties and seventies Telford has over the years come in for much stick from many people. Wrekin Writers proved to be no exception.

I judged this one and as I've said before, it's wasn't an easy task but I felt that Darren Bailey's interpretation of the subject matter was simply brilliant and well carried out, hence the reason I gave him first place.

1st - Darren Bailey

THE PROPOSAL

Father Howard gripped the Scotsman’s shoulder.”Did I see you with the Mayor, Thomas?” The surveyor wanted to pull away, but instead he stared into the priest’s eyes searching for sanity.

“He asked me to change the route of the canal.” Tom jabbed his finger down on the map. “So it runs by his butter market.”

The priest smiled “Having the canal in Wellington would help trade, Thomas.”

“Hah!”

The smile vanished. “You’ll not consider our proposan then, Mr Telford?”

“Let me put it this way, father. I don’t think you’ll be re-naming your wee town in my honour any day soon.”


2nd - Mollie Bolt


Telford is home? Do me a favour!

Telford has neither taste nor flavour,

Telford's the town that isn't there

It has no heart and doesn't care.


Under each road and roundabout

Somebody's memories have been stamped out

And years of history gone down

To make an artificial town.


Home is Telford! Don't make me laugh.

Slough is more beautiful by half.

And if it wasn't for the trees

there wouldn't be a thing to please.


Why don't they take the town away

And let the forest have its way?



3rd Beverley Cherry


Hope

Of a new beginning

Many came

Escaping the crowded city.


Ironbridge and rural

Shropshire beckoned


Telford new town

Employment for all

Lots of new housing

Family friendly with many

Open spaces. And of course the famous

Roundabouts.

Don't knock it.

No comments:

Post a Comment