Wednesday 16 December 2009

My ever so clever car

did me a favour today. It knows how much I like the Clun Valley and how interested I am in its history and the characters who live here so it decided to conjure up a situation where I would meet one and have a chance to have a natter and find out more to add to my scrap book.


How it did this was quite amazing. I went to the garage, threw the keys down in that bit in the middle and got out, filled up with petrol then went to get my keys and my purse. And the car, magically, had locked itself with aforementioned keys and purse still inside. Did I feel very silly? Yes. Did I panic? No! Hey who am I trying to kid? Visions of being out in the cold until one of my sons came to rescue me (and that's only if they got hungry which would have taken several days until they'd eaten me out of house and home) or unless some kindly soul rescued me. Fortunately it was the latter.

Margaret, the lovely Margaret offered to drive me home to pick up the spare set. I can't thank her enough bless her. During the journey though, I heard all about her life growing up on a farm as one of sixteen children. I learned the names of most of the people whose houses I drive by most days and how long they've lived in the valley. I learned about people I don't know who live in Clunbury and I heard about how wonderful her husband's new hip is. Gossip maybe but to me gold dust. It's scribbled down in my little notebook and best of all she's coming to have another chat with me when she's in the village after the new year. I know there is still a lot she's got to tell.

Oh and the car. That got a very strict talking to on the way home albeit a bit tongue in cheek.

And for the cynics amongst you who'd say 'no dear you locked yourself out of your car.' Well I didn't. The car locked me out, I mean I wouldn't do it because it's such a silly thing to do.

9 comments:

  1. Perhaps your car enjoys being at the Petrol Station at Tuffins watching the whole world go by on the A49, when all it sees on your road is a couple of tractors a day and the school bus during term time?

    Do you know what it has planned for its next trick?

    Incidentally, does you car have a name? You've referred to it as 'it' throughout this posting. We don't even know if this character you drive about in day and night is male or female.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey SHE had a treat this afternoon - the cows went past. As for it's next trick I don't want to think about that but it won't involve keys I promise.

    Note I said SHE. Definitely a she. Cool, sophisticated exterior, red leather seats - that's naughtiness and the power to get where she wants to go, if used properly.

    But she has a stubborn streak. She doesn't like being told what to do and doesn't very often do what's good for her. Does it remind you of someone you know ;-)

    And her name, well it's the same as the my last car - Mine. Which translated means 'lads keep your hands off it.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha defo a womans car always changing its mind and not doing as it told.
    Dan Horder-Mason

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your car, Sue, and I could tell it has a cheeky and independent character when you gave me a lift!

    How wonderful to meet Margaret, though, and her tales. Definitely fate.

    Come on, you'll have to give your car a suitable name for one so sleek and sultry yet sassy and fiesty!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Julie, SHE needs a more appropriate name. Anyone could say "She's called Mine" and that would just confuse things.

    Perhaps that should be January's Chairman's Challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah but Simon I may not be Chair next year so if anyone has any ideas what to call my car - post below, could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought you had to be voted 'out' at Wrekin Writers, to leave that role :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Resignation isn't an option? What about death?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it is amazing, these seemingly random happenings. How is the book going? xx

    ReplyDelete