Tuesday 22 December 2009

My ever so clever car again and other things

She tried matchmaking this time. Sounds crazy but it's true. I went to Asda in Donnington Wood Telford, parked in a disabled parking bay and almost immediately had a guy checking to see if I had a blue badge. I got out of the car, commented to the guy who'd parked next to me that it was really nice that someone was checking that the spaces weren't being abused.

Then the parking official came up to me and apologised for checking my badge saying (and I really liked this bit although it was very much pre-conceptions on his part). 'Sorry love but I had to check to see if you had a badge because you look so young and driving a sports' car you did look suspicious. We get a lot of people abusing these places. I'll tell you, I was on cloud nine and thanked him for both the compliment and for keeping an eye on the car park. I went shopping after that with Lucy, my youngest son's girlfriend.

About half a hour later there was one of those heart stopping moments when only half listening to the frequent messages related over the voice system I heard my car registration being read out and asking me to return to my car. Images of huge dents in the body work or even worse flashed through my mind as I went to the information desk. 'It's alright love, your car door is open.'

Relief was an understatement and when I went back to the car found one guy standing guard over it and the ever so nice parking guy standing next to him. It was true the driver's door had magically opened all on it's own and prompted another meeting with ever so nice man who had paid me such a lovely compliment earlier.

Okay he wasn't my type and maybe I'd just forgotten to close the car door properly, but I did lock the car honestly but perhaps my ever so clever car had decided that it was time I met someone special.

Oh I can hear that voice again 'no dear, you didn't shut the door' but hey it's Christmas and although the car got the choice of guy not quite right, maybe magical things do happen or will happen - who knows.

And the other things. Picture it a small village hidden in a valley, Christmas lights twinkling in the houses, the church lit up and a group of carol singers meeting to take the message of Christmas to their friends and neighbours. A cold frosty night twinkling with stars in darkness and the chill air resounding with 'Hark the Herald Angels Sing.' Totally wonderful and tonight I was part of those carol singers as villagers and their children walked through the snowy, frosty lanes wishing others a happy Christmas. I love Clunbury it really is the most incredibly friendly village and to be part of it, especially at Christmas is totally magical. And once we'd visited everyone we retired to the village hall for mulled wine and munchies. How much more perfect can it get?

So feeling all Christmassy and nice - best wishes to you all xx

6 comments:

  1. Hope your wonderful car has more ideas up it's bonnet and brings you lots more contacts with great people...hugs....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, your car is turning into a sports version of Herbie! Clever little auto, I wonder what next?
    The carol singing sounds magical, so happy that you live in such a lovely place now, it sounds like there is a real bond in the community which is very special.
    Love Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue,

    It is true that disabled parking in Donnington Wood ASDA's is getting abused some of the time.

    Steve took a photograph of a 125 motorbike with L plates on it in one of the disabled parking spaces. We waited for the rider to come out and lol and behold he was able bodied and extremely nimble to jump on the bike and set off quickly.

    Your car sounds as if it is has a mind of its own perhaps it will turn into "KIT" and help you out of horrid situations too.

    As Di says it could also have the heart of Herbie.

    I am glad you are in a Christmassy mood best wishes to you all.

    Feexxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do wonder what she's up to when I'm snug and warm in the house Carole - who knows.

    Loads of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's certainly an individual Di which makes her even more different - lol

    The carol singing last night was magical, it felt like the epitome of Christmas and such a wonderful experience. It is lovely in Clunbury and there is very much a community spirit. people know and care for each other and that is so special. We are very lucky to be part of it.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It happens all over the place Fee but Donnington Wood is particularly bad because of where the cash machines are sited too. But that guy yesterday was wonderful and bless him, he really made my day :-)

    And Kit/Herbie no she's mine lol and she's certainly a character. And today driving through thick freezing fog on icy roads, she looked after us and brought us safely home.

    You have a lovely Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete