Wednesday 6 January 2010

More snow but isn't it beautiful?




When I moved to Clunbury I discovered Ida Gandy. Ida was the village doctor's wife at the end of the 1930s and she writes about life in and around the village. When I read her book, the thrill I got when I read her description of the orchard in the village, the very same orchard that is at the bottom of my garden. It's a magical place because from my kitchen window I've seen a woodpecker hammering away, I've watched a lamb being nurtured to its feet by its mother. I've seen rabbits and children playing, watched kestrels, pheasants and all sorts of other joys, many whilst washing up.

And once again my wonderful orchard has confirmed what an incredible place it is. The snow and frost have claimed it. Mother Nature has painted every branch, every blade of grass showing another facet of its incredible beauty. This sounds smug I know but aren't I lucky?


4 comments:

  1. You certainly are! An ideal place to write, too, it would certainly motivate me, very envious...hugs...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Sue, it does look so magical. Isn't it wonderful that we can appreciate the simple things in life that cost us nothing. I took a walk in the woods next to my house and felt so special to be the only one sharing it with the animals. My footprints joined with the birds and other creatures that inhabit this incredible place. It looks a bit like Narnia at the moment. Keep posting the piccies, it's wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank for joining me, Sue,hope you'll post comments on my blog. Hugs...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stayed at the Llan Farm for many years from age 5(now 70)and knew Mrs Dr Gandy, Clunbury and many of the people and places she mentions. I was married in Llanfairwaterdine and for some years had a smallholding there called Belmount almost on Offas Dyke. Happy days. Hope Clunbury churchyard is tidier than when I last visited.

    ReplyDelete