Sunday 18 January 2009

Chairman's Challenge

Every month the chairman sets a challenge. The idea being that the group members write a short piece in about one hundred words (ten percent margin allowed) on a given topic. These are then collected and judged and the winner receives a fiver. Okay so you're not going to get rich but it's a useful exercise and a lot of fun.


December's Challenge was 'Holly, Ivy and Mistletoe' It was judged by Di Perry.

The winners were

1st - Julie Phillips with her Wrekin Writers' Christmas Carol

The Retreat(To the tune of 'Deck the Halls.)

Wrekin Writers on their jolly. (Fa la la la la la la la la)
Guinness cake was made by Mollie. (Fa la la la la la la la la)
Drinking wine they need no persuasion. (Fa la la la la la la la la)
Raise their glasses to any occasion. (Fa la la la la la la la la)

Singing carols, feeling festive. (Fa la la la la la la la la)
Some of the words were quite suggestive. (Fa la la la la la la la la)
On You Tube you'll find the evidence. (Fa la la la la la la la la)
At recalling words they are dense. (Fa la la la la la la la la)

Rocking cradle late at night. (Fa la la la la la la la la)
Giving Angeline a fright. (Fa la la la la la la la la)
Brian couldn't find his hole. (Fa la la la la la la la la)
Borrowed Julie's to achieve his goal. (Fa la la la la la la la la)

Wrekin Writers on retreat, (Fa la la la la la la la la)
had me on the edge of my seat. (Fa la la la la la la la la)
Story telling by the fire, (Fa la la la la la la la la)
Michael murdered in the shower (Fa la la la la la la la la)


2nd - Angeline Wheeler
Holly, Mistletoe and Ivy.

After so long apart how will I be received? I remember well the freezing Christmas Eve three years ago when I dropped my bombshell into their middle class laps. Everything should have been perfect. It was the start of the twentieth century and attitudes were becoming more liberalised. How naive I was then.

Now I approach with trepidation. The door opens, the warmth and Ivy the dog almost bowl me over. My parents grab me and my beautiful three year old child, pulling us under the mistletoe for a resounding, forgiving kiss whilst tears streamed. I gather my gift for them, fresh green holly and blood red berries which is received like gold.



Joint 3rd - Mike White and Mary Braddock




No comments:

Post a Comment