Friday 25 September 2009

Chairman's Challenge



The challenge that was accepted by the group for July was 'Who or What motivates and inspires you to write and why?' I had the pleasure of judging this and believe me it wasn't easy. As chair, it was interesting because month after month these members turn up and share their work but we have never really discussed what actually motivates them to sit down and do some writing. Many of their stories I think all writers will identify with.





1st - Nicola Vincent

In the second infants, I wrote a poem, “Caterpillars Are Many Colours”. My teacher deemed it a masterpiece and displayed it on the wall for several years to come.

Three decades on I dream of seeing lyrical prose worthy of Toni Morrison flow from my pen; for the covers in the bookshop to bear my name, alongside the slogan ‘Orange Prize-Winner’.

Yet the truth, to paraphrase the poet Naomi Shihab Nye, is that I write not to become “Famous” but because I never forget what I can do.

I write not to let my six year old self down.


2nd - Angeline Wheeler


My Inspiration

Year 1982, age 32. Qualifications zero, third child beginning school. Helping at school I realized I had a flair with words and enjoyed them in small ways with the children. There I met someone who really took an interest and encouraged me to go to evening classes where I gained three G.C.E. Later he helped me with A level literature by reading and advertising my work then again through an access year to higher education. Then something came UP between us and I had to make a choice so I moved on for a while.

Although at this time and ever since, my husband was and is supportive he is not interested, leaving me with a depth of gratitude to the man who inspired and motivated me to believe in myself.


3rd - Sue Ross


You ask what has inspired me

And wait with baited breath

To hear the story

Of a world

Created

By my hand

And death as well as life

Was written

Then,

In darkness

Waiting.

I scribed this world

Creator

And Divine,

I watched a zillion sunsets,

Caused great galaxies to

Swirl

Entwine,

The firmament, that’s one of mine

You know.

I drank of oceans vast,

Like finest wine

A heady brew,

I wore night’s blackest cloak

To shoot the stars

And furrowed through the sands of time

To write this world

For you.

Treat it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment