Monday 20 April 2009

Go on I dare you!


Take a peak in Simon’s bedroom. No you don’t need to leg it over to his place, all you need to do is get this month’s copy of Writer’ Forum. Featured in this month’s ‘my writing space’ is our very own Simon Whaley and yes you’ve guessed it, his writing space is in his bedroom.
An expose it is but don’t worry your blushes have been spared. The photograph shows Simon sitting at an incredibly tidy desk with the ubiquitous mug of tea clasped in his hand. The article tells how a small corner of his bedroom has been turned into his workspace and how his filing system works.
Does it matter where you work? No it doesn’t, what is important is that you write. Simon, when he saw my cupboard, said he envied my space, away from house and all mine. Sadly though, and now it’s confession time, I don’t do half as much work in there as I should. Which goes to prove the old saying ‘it’s not what you’ve got, it’s how you use it’ and look at how successful Simon has become from the corner of his bedroom.

Food for thought.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Sue! I agree. I write in a corner of my front room, but, like yourself, I don't usually write there. It houses my laptop and papers, printer, and all that jazz, but usually I write sitting in a comfy chair, or in bed , or at the kitchen table, anywhere but in my corner in fact!

    I only 'write' there when I'm typing something up, or editing. I find it helps me to separate my 'creative' brain from my 'editing' brain.

    Most writers seem to yearn for a big, luxurious writing space with all the mod cons, away from civilisation. I'd personally like a summer house/ shed at the bottem of the garden! But, when I think about it - even if I had the money and space to have one - would I use it? Not so sure I would!

    If I could be as half as successful as Simon is from the corner of his bedroom by writing in the corner of my front room, then I would be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie the amount of writing you do and the submissions you make, I have no doubt that one day you'll be at least as successful as Simon. Just keep on doing what you're doing and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete