Sunday 29 March 2009

Childhood Memories

Tonight I was jeered by a group of kids hanging around in Craven Arms, they called me a ‘spastic’ and made comments about the way I walk. Their comments really upset me. I haven’t been called that in years not since the taunts of the kids when I was at school. In those days it was deemed as not a nice thing to say but they did it anyway. Nowadays things are different, I have the right to make a formal complaint but that doesn’t mend the upset that was caused.

Driving home, the memories of my childhood came flooding back but I ended up laughing. When I was in primary school I had to wear orthopaedic boots and one kid really had it in for me. He called me all the names under sun until finally, aged about six, I totally snapped and kicked hell out of him. I can remember standing there before the headmistress as she said to me ‘Susan dear, I know what ******* said to you was not nice but really dear, you shouldn’t have kicked him.’ The gentle reprimand was not a problem but the satisfaction of getting my own back was immense.

The point of this, it takes real guts to be a writer. At times you have to kick out against everything you’d rather not do. It’s easy to write something and then hide it away rather that subject it to another person’s eyes, especially an editor for their comments, criticisms etc but that’s what a writer does – they throw self reservations to the wind and go for it and like I felt when I was six, the satisfaction of posting that envelope or pressing send, is immense.

Wrekin Writers go for it and I’ll look forward to the successes at the next meeting and remember our successes aren’t only the work that is accepted but you get points towards the Wrekin Writer of the Year Award for all submissions you make.

Good luck and keep writing
but more importantly – enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sue. Kids can be very hurtful can't they. I'm sorry for what they said to you. I wonder sometimes what their parents would think if they knew what their 'little darlings' were up to. I'd have been tempted to discretely nobble one of them and see how they walked afterwards! But I'm not a thug or as immature as them, so I wouldn't! It reminds me when I was walking from Shifnal town to my mum's bungalow about eight yrs ago and some gangly long haired teenage boy !I think it was a boy) had the nerve to call me a 'Trog'!! I found this highly amusing for some reason and just laughed in his face - not the reaction he was looking for I'm sure!

    I was bullied a lot at school - nothing physical, just name calling 'zithead', 'rubber lips', that sort of infantile stuff. But I can honestly say it certainly made me stronger and more determined to succeed. We have no control over what we are born like and I always think that the rubbish doled out by bullies and ignorant little people like the lads you met says way more about them than it does the victim. They must be terribly insecure to have to abuse a lone woman. I wonder if they would have said something had you been a man, or had it only been one lad.

    You're right about writing too. It is a struggle and putting your work out there is like putting your heart and self confidence into an envelope every time you do it.

    But I wouldn't have it any other way! I'd still write no matter how many rejections I get - and if I wasn't going to send my work out, because I enjoy the process and the journey of writing. If I get published, that's just great,and if I don't, well it doesn't matter.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How brave of you, and how wonderful...hugs..

    ReplyDelete