Friday 20 February 2009

Things ain't what they used to be

Those of us of a certain age used to have amongst our toys a certain black (as in the colour) toy dressed in red striped trousers, with a red jacket and a wonderful smile. Yes, I’m talking about a Golly. (Sorry I’m not allowed to give him his proper title) Remember the Marmalade and the badges we used to collect and pin to the lapels of our coats? Okay I know I’m showing my age but it wasn’t that long ago.

And then there was the time that you walk into a cafĂ© or restaurant and order a black coffee, which I’ve done for years. Oh no, no, not PC, it is now known as coffee without milk.

And brainstorming, well sorry folks but that has been downgraded and not by the met office, to a thought shower or a cloud burst.

So has political correctness gone mad? We all have our own opinions on that but remember when you’re writing nowadays you have to more than dot the I’s and cross the t’s.

2 comments:

  1. You have to be really careful what you say or write these days don't you! For fear that someone may misinterpret or read something into what you say, or write, that simply isn't there. I remember Gollys, and to me, as a child, they were nothing more than a toy. They had no racial connotations at all. (I've seen them still for sale in a Wenlock shop quite recently) The age of innocence is over! (sighs nostalgically)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's okay to get nostalgic Julie and I totally agree you about the age of innocence being over. Also to sell a Golly in a shop you need to licenced just like alcohol and guns - makes you think doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete